22nd April 1944

Saturday
Fine and warm.  Cuckoos started at 7 o’clock, quite unperturbed by ‘planes rushing over very low. 

Sixty years ago today was the great East Anglian Earthquake.  My mother remembered it very well, as she was 16 at the time, and a pupil-teacher in a little school in Osborne Street

Feeling vague and nervous all day.  Quite determined to leave Colchester.  Went to see Alderman Blomfield this afternoon, to show him Charles Gray’s manuscripts.  He was interested and agrees that they should be in the Muniment Room.  I insisted that at all costs they must be in the custody of the Town Clerk, and not of the Curator, to which he agreed.  When I left, I thought little do you know that you will probably get my resignation in a few days time.  He told me that Sir Gurney Benham was now very feeble indeed, and it is most unlikely that he will ever come out again.  Wonder if I ought to go to see him.

Sent off a telegram to Mary Hulbert, to ask if she wants the pony.  Perhaps this will make her reply to the letter.

To library, and then home to tea.  Left at 6 for Dedham, by way of Ardleigh Park.  

At Dedham found Sherman’s locked up, and wondered if Sissons’ were away.  Saw Major Inde walking down the street, and then went over to Lawford, but arrived at a bad moment, as there was a supper party about to begin.  Stayed only a moment, and left feeling very flat.  Hate to call and then feel I am not wanted.  Rather colder tonight, and some thin clouds.

No comments: