16th January 1943

Saturday
Got in early this morning.  Went to Bourne Mill with Bob, [after taking him to the blacksmiths].  Old Bob, blowing hard, trotted along in grand style, his action just the same as when I first saw him more than 13 years ago.  I have never seen a cob with such a beautiful, compact action as he has got.

Home to lunch, then walked Bob round to Boasts’ and paid him £10-0-0 for a little flat trolley, which is not really worth it, but I felt I needed a 4-wheel vehicle again.  I have a vague idea I might let Grubb have this, and draw my old van back again.  I wish I had never let it go.

Having got the trolley, I went to Matthews’  and to Marriages’, and managed to collect 6 trusses of hay altogether, which ought to last about a fortnight, with care.  Then to Port Lane, and got 4 bundles of straw from my store there and took them down to litter the Mill yard.  I reckon the straw I have used there so far has cost me about 68/-.  I hope I shall be able to get that much for the muck.  I reckon I want another half ton of straw, about 60/-, to make a job of it, and then I shall want to sell 14 loads of muck at 10/- to make it pay.  I rather doubt if there would be that much. 

After this, went home again and had tea.  Left at 5.30, and went by Dedham.  Talked to Sissons until 7.30.  Mrs. Sisson is very worried about Poulter, and so am I.  We also had general conversation about agriculture, etc.  Neither she nor Sisson could believe it when I said that the Essex wheat acreage last year was no greater than in 1938, but that is the fact.  On thinking this matter over, I realise just why the authorities are as worried as they are now.

Back to Sherbourne at 8, just in time for supper.  After supper, felt worn out, and did hardly any writing tonight.
 

No comments: