6th December 1941 - Civil Defence Exercise

Capt. Folkard saw Thurgood yesterday, and he says our deferments are all practically certain, which cheered me a good deal.

Great manoeuvres today. The town was “attacked” by “invaders”, and the whole of the Civil Defence Organisation was on duty to deal with the various “incidents” which were to occur.

At 9.30 I went out for some supper, and just as I crossed the street by All Saints Church, a car drove up, two men got out, and threw a lighted cracker into the road, where it exploded with a tremendous report. Immediately an ARP ambulance, coming up East Hill, ran clear over the imaginary “crater”. The two firework throwers waited a few moments for wardens to come and take charge of the incident, but nobody came, so they got in the car and drove away. It was only when I had eaten my supper that I realised that as a special-constable I ought to have taken charge until a warden appeared.

Bourne Mill was broken open by Canadian soldiers early this afternoon, as they were instructed to hold the place and search for “parachute-troops”. So far as I know nothing was stolen.

No comments: