23rd September 1941

Bad stomach pains all day. Have not felt so ill for years.

The Welsh girl was in the café tonight. Walked to Mile End with her, and felt a little better when I got back. She was in the café tonight and smiled in a very pleasant way, so I got into conversation with her. She speaks Welsh, although it is the South Welsh, as her home is at Swansea. We talked of Wales, of the mountains, of Cardiff. I have not enjoyed a conversation so much for a long time. When I left her in the darkness near Mile End church I said “Nos dawch cariad” ["Good night love"] and she answered “Nos da in cluwi, mi cyfaill!” ["Good night to you, my friend!"] Previously she had said with a lovely lilt, “Talkin’ to you iss like talkin’ to the people far away at home."

She works as a nurse at Severalls Asylum.

Following my request for help with the Welsh translation for this extract, I am very grateful to Brett Colley and Derek Jones who have kindly supplied me with the correct transcription and translation, which I have now added to the diary entry above. Many thanks Brett and Derek for your help, it is much appreciated, CP

Eric Rudsdale was descended from a James Jones of Selattyn on the Welsh borders. He identified closely with his Welsh heritage and frequently visited North Wales during his lifetime and learned to speak Welsh.

No comments: