11th July 1940: Air Raid Activity over Colchester

There was a raid alarm at 1 o’clock this morning, which lasted until 20 to 4. Half a dozen people came in. I got back home, had a couple of hours in bed, and then there was another alarm at 5 o’clock, which lasted until 7. Saw the dawn break, and melt into full daylight, people go to work, blinds pulled up, and chimneys begin to smoke. Not a plane was to be seen or heard. Coming out twice like this made me feel very bad, and when I got there the second time I had to sit down for half an hour.

When I got home I went to bed until 10 o’clock, had breakfast and got back to the Castle at 11am. As this was my half day I was only there for an hour and a half. Hull was very annoyed. However, I did not get the half day, because at 3pm, when I was dozing on my bed, there was another alarm, so back I had to go. 72 people came into the vaults, but only a few planes near the town.

Tonight the Cavalry Band played in the Park, a most pleasant diversion.

The increased air activity that Eric has described over the last few days signified the start of the Battle of Britain. CP

No comments: